How to Pick the Best Cat Food
What would you describe your feline friends? As for me, I would describe my cat as a cocky individual being but can be very loving sometimes. Nevertheless, no matter how our cat is, as paw parents, it is important for us to know how to take care of them.
There are many things we can do to keep them healthy, one of the most basic but most important things is to take care of what they eat. Food is needed for a living being to survive because that’s where the energy came from, to keep them healthy, and for recovery if your cat is sick.
But if you don’t pay enough attention, food poisoning or food-related disease may occur to your pets.
Then you might be asking, what is a cat’s natural diet? What is safe for cats to eat? Which is better; dry food or wet food? What can you do to keep them healthy? If you just happen to adopt a cat, or if you already own a cat, and if you’ve been wondering if what you’re doing is right or not, hopefully, this article can answer your curiosity.
What is Cat’s Natural Diet?
While dogs and humans are omnivores, cats are obligate carnivores. What does this mean? Dogs and humans can eat both meats and plants but cats need meat to survive. There are two types of protein, animal-based proteins like meat or organs, and plant-based proteins like vegetables and grain. Humans and dogs can rely on them both, but cats can’t.
What do cats need that animal-based proteins have that the plant-based proteins do not?
The answer is Taurine. Taurine is one of the most important amino acids that only exist in meat. Catinfo.urg also stated that taurine deficiency will cause blindness and heart.
What is Safe for Cats to Eat?
Basically, a cat is different from humans based on their nutritional needs. According to “Cat Lovers Book” by Yudhi Prayogo, DVM (Doctor of Veterinary Medicine), unlike human’s needs for carbs that stands 60-65% of their diet, cats need carbs is very low. Cats need protein levels of 25-40 %, while humans only need 8-12% protein in their diet. What about fats? Cats need 15-45% fats, while human needs 25-30% fats on their diet.
What does this mean? This means a cat’s diet consists of protein and fats. You can feed your cat animal-based proteins such as chicken, lamb, turkey, beef, fish, and egg because they have complete amino acid profiles. You can also look for the liver because it is a very good source of vitamin A and D, also copper and zinc. There are many fish canned food on the market that’s good for your cats, such as tuna, salmon, mackerel, and even seafood platter.
Cat Dry Food vs Wet Food
There are two types of pet food, dry food, and wet food. Which one is better for your pet? To help you to make a choice, we will talk about their pros and cons below.
Cat Dry Food
Cat Dry Food Pros:
- Dry food is fast and easy to serve.
- Cat Dry food is not easy to be spoiled.
Cat Dry Food Cons:
- Low water intake (7-10%). This is bad because a cat doesn’t drink as much as dogs do, because they have a low thirst drive. This makes the cat more prone to dehydration. Cats get their water intake mostly from their food. In the wild, cat’s prey (rats, birds, etc) contain water in their body, that’s where cats get 50% of their daily water needs. Dehydration in cats can lead to severe diseases, like urinary tract disease, kidney failure, and urolithiasis (stones in their urinary tract).
- You get what you pay for. If you want the best quality food for your cat, you need to spend more. Of course, it is worth it to see your cat healthy because scientific research has provided great cat food for your beloved cat.
Cat Wet food
Cat wet food Pros:
- cat wet food is Fast and easy to serve.
- As has a better aroma, cats prefer this than dry food.
- Contain 75% of water.
Cat wet food Cons:
- cat wet food comes in cans and once opened, you can’t keep them too long, you should only keep them 1-3 days.
- Canned wet food is easier to spoil than the dry one.
- Higher price.
What Can I Do to Keep My Cats Healthy?
Now you know the difference between dry food and cat food, what can you do to keep your cat healthy? If you choose to pick the dry food, you should give your cat water source available all the time. You can also mix the water with some food that your cat likes, to increase their water intake. An easy tip from me is to give them wet food sometimes, maybe even as a treat, this is a fast way to increase their water intake. Then again, if you are unsure, you can consult your vet. Every cat stage in life have different nutritional needs, kitten, adult, and senior cat’s food is different. If your cat has some special case, like obesity or kidney disease, they need a prescription’s diet from their vet. To sum it up here below is a list of what you should do and shouldn’t do to your cat.
- Cook the meat or fish before giving them to your cat.
- De-worm your cat every 3 months.
- Always make water available for your cat.
- Give them paracetamol.
- Feed your cat a dog food and chocolate.
- Give them onions.
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 2
We are sorry that this post was not useful for you!
Let us improve this post!
Thanks for your feedback!